Healing Hearts is a three-session grief program designed to give children ages 8 to 12 a chance to interact with other children their age who have experienced the loss of a loved one. Through play, stories, games, songs, talking about feelings, art and conversations with our bunny puppet named “Hamilton”, elementary-aged children find a comfortable place to express their thoughts and feelings.
This program is free and open to any child in the community. Pre-registration is required to ensure we have enough supplies and staff for the children attending the program.
All sessions take place at Hamilton’s Funeral Home, 605 Lyon Street, Des Moines.
Upcoming program session dates and times:
- February 29, 2024 from 7:00-8:00pm
- March 5, 2024 from 5:30-8:00pm
- March 7, 2024 from 5:30-8:00pm
To register for this program:
-Printable Handouts about talking to and supporting grieving children
-Latest episode of “The Widowed Parent Podcast” about supporting grieving children
-National Alliance for Children’s Grief: GriefTalk Resource Guides
- Talking to children about death and dying
- Talking to a child or teen to let them know someone has died
- Talking about end-of-life memorials and rituals
- Talking about grieving as a family